Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothers Day


I hate Mothers Day. 

I will tell you why. First of all, I love my mom.  I know so many wonderful mothers.  I think they do a great job with what God has given them.  But let’s not skip over that last part: God has given mothers their job.  I’m a stickler for the big picture, what matters most, what it really boils down to, and most importantly what God says in His Word. 

No, God doesn’t ever mention Mothers Day in the bible. Lol.

But what He does mention is Himself.  And that is pretty much the bulk of the bible.  About God.  What He has done, is doing, will do.  How amazing He is.  How He calls people.  How He s sovereign.  It’s about Him, through and through.  The holidays/festival He set up were about Him or pointed to Him in some fashion.  He never fails to remind us over and over how He is in control and He is good and He is the one who deserves glory.  And how NOTHING ELSE deserves the attention that He deserves.

And that’s it.  I hate Mothers Day because people stop at mom.  For years this has made me uncomfortable, and I couldn’t identify why exactly.  The day was almost always disappointing even if I had low expectations.  I was thrown into this position of trying to convince myself that I deserved some sort of recognition or special treatment.  People all around patting me on the back, giving accolades for a job well done – Really??

A job well done?

I don’t know about everyone else, but I know that on a regular basis I screw up this job pretty well.  I happen to know that I actually DON’T deserve a pat on the back.  I love my kids, I do my best, and I honestly seek good for them.  But the fact that I’ve kept this job is beyond me.  Why would God look down and determine that I deserve this responsibility?  I mean, it’s HUGE.  God knows I lack in so many ways.  It is by His unfathomable mercies that I am even allowed to raise, nurture, and love my boys. I should have been fired years ago!

So I must redirect this day towards Him.  I really  must.  As much as we can say that we planned these kids, we know we actually had no control over the conception of these lives.  That was God in His goodness allowing me to sign up for a job that I had no skill to do well.  But He saw.  He knew that by allowing me to be a mother, by giving me my kids to raise, I would become a better kid to Him.  I would understand His love a little better.  I would marvel at His patience knowing how quickly my own would be exhausted.  I would seek Him when I finally realized how little control I have over these young lives. 

Today is a day I can turn to God and fall at His feet and wonder at His goodness and His mercy.   

Today is NOT about me.  

It’s not about moms.  

It’s about Him. 

Let’s not ever forget that. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie Dear,
I do celebrate Mothers Day! Children Honor your parents. I celebrate this worldly day! By MAKING about him! This is a day that my kids can remember to be thankful. Thankful that our God is a Provider, a Comforter, a Good Shepherd. He displays that in Mothers. This day is NOT a Pat on the back for me but a day of sincere thankfulness. Elliot Grace and Selah Joy, Grace and Joy---My undeserved gifts of pure Joy, Joy=== continued content and happiness. Gods blessing given to UNWORTHY me. I am not wanting a confirmation that I am the best Mother in the world--- but I am wanting to tell my Mom that she is. So thankful that God has given me an example. So thankful that he has given me a Mom who is always FOR ME. Just as he is. I can understand Jesus's love just a little bit because my Mom loves me and forgives me always. Not that we should not be thankful every day, we should... but sometimes a day set aside to HONOR our mothers is a good reminder. Mothers day is not a day for me, but a day to honor, to thank, to recognize Gods blessing. A day to recognize Gods plan for a Legacy. A day to see Gods promises in action. My Great Grandma loved our God, My Grandmother Loves our God, My Mom loves our God, As do I... My Line of MOTHERS TESTFY of his promises. This is something to celebrate! His GODLY LEGACY! His blessings on my family. World holiday or not... I will give thanks to him today and I will praise him for the Mother he has given to me, and for the children he has blessed me with. I will honor my Mother for her life testimony to me. Not a day for me. Not For my own worthiness. In my weakness he is made strong. A day to honor my Mom. A day to serve another. A day to be humbled by his goodness, A day for my kids to honor as they have been commanded to do. Praise Him from whom ALL BLESSINGS FLOW. Love you. xoxoxoxo ..... BRASSY