Friday, July 24, 2009

Bottom line

Maybe we should've let Texas become its own state. Maybe Lincoln should've let the south secede from the Union. Maybe somebody at some point should've notice that our nation got too big for one government. The state governments are great ideas... but, alas, the federal government oversees them as well. Freedom is diminishing at an astounding rate... and all in the name of what?

I'm not going to weigh in about the universal healthcare plan. Not here. Nor will I rant about the enormity of the government growing like cancer across our rights. This is what I will say, God wins. That's a bottom line I can get behind!

Meanwhile, I wonder what this all means for every day people like me (I don't know about every other day people...). Should our goals change? Were they worthy goals to begin with? What of the American dream? .... the American dream... freedom to pursue our lives in peace, uninhibited by outside pressures or restrictions. What do we have now? The American Entitlement? Have we all been reduced to sniveling 5 year olds? IT'S NOT FAIR! wahhhhhhhh! Those darn CareBears at it again...

And I know, I know it's the natural progression of things once God is slowly yet purposefully removed from authority of any kind. But it's sad to see it happen to this country. A nation that God blessed so much... thrown back in His face with spiteful ingratitude. That He hasn't completely anihilated us yet is beyond me.

But I digress (or regress?)... What is our focus? Our goals as christian Americans? It seems at least to me that the pursuit of stability may eventually compromise our beliefs. We may in our lifetime have to encounter situations now where we will have to break our nation's laws in order to uphold our Maker's. With the world and our country in it's current situation... what should be our focus? I know that the main point never changes: tell the world about Jesus. This could get tricky and something tells me (as Mark Martin does) the roof is on fire! This is urgent... we need to act NOW. Busyness needs to give way to a purpose filled life. Not the Rick Warren way - the Jesus way.

Lord, guide us to serve you in every way. Move us to live as though there won't be a later - no retirement - just a now. Give us clear purpose in our every day lives. Fill your people with the passion to bring your kids back to you. Help us eliminate distractions that waste our time and energy, remove negative influences so that we may hear your voice clearly. Let us be wakeful watchful for we know you are coming soon, Jesus! Fill our discouragements and cynicism with your everlasting hope. Renew our strength each day and measure our steps with confidence. In your holy name, we pray AMEN

No comments: